9-23-2015 Senior Phone Scam Alert

I just receive the following phone call:

Caller: "Hello Grandpa, this is your Grand Daughter
I have laryngitis so I don't sound like myself"
Me: "You certainly don't, which Grand Daughter? "
Caller: "What do you mean? "
Me: "Well, I have several"
Caller: "Your Oldest"
Me: "Oh, OK" (Suspicious because she should have said her name.)
Me: "Is everything OK"
Caller: "No"
Me: "What's the matter?"
CALLER: "I was visiting a friend in Niagara Falls and on my way home, I was involved in a car accident."
Me: "Are you OK"
Caller: "Yes every one is fine"
Me: "And the car"
Caller: "The car is fine. This woman came out of nowhere and I hit her but she's OK."
Me: "Thank God"
Caller: "Yes, but when the cops came, the asked if I was drinking. I told them no but, because I'm taking medicine for my laryngitis,
I failed the breathalyzer and spent the night in Jail."
Me: "Did they assign you an attorney"
Caller "Yes, but I need bail money. Can you send me $500.00 via Western Union ?"
Me: "That's going to really be hard. We just had some medical bills so things are pretty tight."
Caller: "Please Grand Pa, can't you put it on your credit card ?"
Me: "Sorry they are all maxed out"
Caller "Please Grand Pa, I don't want to stay in Jail."
Me: "Sorry sweety but I really can't and don't have any money I can send."
Caller: click.... she hung up.

In my case, my oldest Grand Daughter doesn't drive.
She also wouldn't be in Niagara Falls.
It's very easy to fall for a scam like this because all of us want to help family.
Especially our grandchildren.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Speed Up Windows 10 after the Upgrade

Here's MY Version of "The Best Security Suites of 2016"