Microsoft may withhold security updates from unsupported Windows 11 PCs

That headline is very troubling to me. I have been a Microsoft Insider since Windows 7.

Last year, for Black Friday I purchased a rebuilt HP Elite Desktop. It came with an I7 processor, 1 TB SSD drive and 32 Gig's of ram. I had windows 10 Pro installed and I signed the system up for the Windows Insider program.

When Windows 11 was announced, I was pretty excited to know that because I was an insider, I'll have an early look at the new OS once it was made available. 

I soon learned that my system would not be able to run the new OS because the processor was too old and the required security chip was only version 1.2 instead of the required version 2.0

I had resigned myself that this system would continue to be a Windows 10 system and receive early updates to the latest version of Windows 10 since I was still signed in as an insider.

About a month ago, I started this system simply to check for updates since I hadn't used the computer for a while.

I was greeted with an update notice and once the computer restarted, lo and behold, I now had Windows 11 Pro.

I've received regular updates on this system since it was first upgraded to Windows 11. This is the current build 21H2(OS Build 22000.168)

I didn't try to bypass anything for this system to auto upgrade to Windows 11. No hacks, cracks or clean installs. I had actually expected to be greeted with Windows 10 21H2 and would have been happy with that. 

Afterall, Windows 10 will still be supported well into 2025.

Windows decision to possibly not offer updates to those systems Microsoft upgraded to Windows 11 because they don't meet their hardware and/or software specs really would not be a fair decision. 

Even if they decide to enforce that rule on those systems that willfully bypassed the requirements, it would only result in many Windows 11 systems infected and spreading those infections to other systems. Not good publicity for Microsoft.

Microsoft needs to take a firm stand or, allow those systems that are currently running Windows 10 to be allowed to migrate to Windows 11.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog