AI - Are We at Risk of Extinction or Another Doomsday Theory?

 I spotted the following yesterday:





You can read the information and/or fear mongering at https://www.safe.ai/statement-on-ai-risk
You can even sign their petition if you agree with their point of view. You'll not find my name on that petition.  
Is this new AI revolution really going to cause the end of Civilization? If it is, I'm in trouble.
I use AI almost daily and find the technology both fascinating and extremely helpful with certain reservations. I'm aware that it can be used for both good and evil. I'm aware that it occasionally makes up stories. I'm aware that AI (Chat Bots) can be manipulated. It can be biased, hateful, deceitful but if used properly and with moderation it can be an incredible tool. A tool that needs to be managed, controlled, and harnessed. Yes, it's powerful and we've only just scratched the surface of its potential.  
But, to fear that this new and yet underutilized technology will cause our extinction is preposterous.
Instead of expressing fear, I challenge those that added their names to the "Statement of AI Risk" to use their talent to make sure that this new AI Intellectual Revolution is steered in the right direction. That it's used to extend and enhance our existence, not end it.
Doomsday has been incorrectly predicted many times during my lifetime. I'm still here and so is civilization. To fear something usually means a lack of understanding and a lack of acceptance. 
Stay safe, stay secure. I'll see you again soon. Bye-bye, and thanks for reading my take on this.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog